Saturday, January 12, 2013

Them and Me


Furry friends, the four footed kind.  They arrived and they departed.  Some stayed their entire life, some shared only part of their life, others just passed through, stopping long enough to recharge their batteries with a good feed and a drink.  

The first one I remember was a big ginger persian cat.  I was maybe 4 or 5.  He would hide behind the curtain of the hall cupboard and leap out when anyone walked passed and grab hold of a foot and bite the back of the ankle.  I was utterly terrified of him, or rather I was terrified of the hall cupboard in case he was hiding there.

There was always a cat, most times two or more right through my childhood.  Some were just cats, some were special  The first dog came into the family when I was 16.  My mum visited Australia to attend my stepbrothers veterinary graduation and returned with a small corgi.  Topsy, soft, gentle, sweet natured.  But not mine.  

My first very own dog came when I ventured off shore to live.  I was sharing a house with a couple of others who had a dog, so of course I had to get one also.  In fact I got two.  Being young, (19) and totally irresponsible as far as dog ownership went, I really should not have got any.  Due to my irresponsibility at the time, one only had a very short life.  Somehow I managed to do the right thing with the other one and she lived well into old age.  Of course there were cats as well,weaving in and out of my younger flatting days.

I ventured even further off shore.  More cats came and left of their own accord.  A dog shared her life with us for 18 months.  She moved on to a new family with young children and lived with them happily ever after when the time came for us to return home to live.

Once home and settled the trend continued.  To date 6 dogs have shared their time with    me.  Some had short lives due to illness, some shared their lives with me right through to their senior years, one reaching 17 & 1/2.  
Cats continued to come and go.  Most were only passing through, in need of a little TLC and a couple of good meals and those that needed more were found suitable loving homes. Two cats stayed their entire lives. 

And so to the current FFC (furry footed crew).  

BrieaDor my big girl - Briard, very long haired, 9&1/2 years old.




Dawa  the small dog - Tibetan Terrier, also very long haired, 5 years old.



O.C.  cat - tamed feral kitten, 10 years old



And then there is ME.  Just an ordinary now retired, wife mother homemaker who cares.
More to come.............. 

2 comments:

  1. A great start, now for the stories and I know there are many---
    bs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yip, I am ready for more. Moggie......

    ReplyDelete